Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The 9-5!

“We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”
Charles R. Swindoll


OK, actually my new job is the 9-5:30... and tomorrow is my first (half) day! I learned about this organization about 2 years ago when I was in trying to decide if I should apply for Peace Corps. Camfed has a small branch office (by small, about 5 people) in San Francisco and I wanted to have an opportunity with them but it was near impossible. I admired the work this group did but at the time I was in Walnut Creek and my best chance at getting my foot in the door was an internship... in Cambridge. How impossible did that seem at the time?!

A few years later, here I am... with an internship at Camfed! I had applied for a job when I first arrived here in Ely and never heard back. In February I tried again but for an internship. I hoped I would have a better likelihood for hire if it was as an intern. And they were excited about me! But I didn't have the proper paperwork--I was an illegal! But now, with a Residence Visa in hand and another dose of persistence, I applied again... to no avail. The internship I was applying for didn't want me. So I emailed Mari, the woman I interviewed with in February, and she was ecstatic! She knew most of my professional background and felt I might be just the one she was looking for to fill an unadvertised internship. Who knew! Persistence does work!

Although I am incredibly nervous about whether or not I can fulfill my duties and if I have the skills they want, I am also incredibly excited to work for them. We will see how tomorrow goes!

Two years and a move later... I kept my eyes on the prize, baby!

www.uk.camfed.org

No comments:

Post a Comment