Thursday, March 18, 2010

Keep moving forward

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Herman Cain

Yesterday was my last day of work in the Camfed office. I walked in through the green side door of the building thinking about all the things I acocmplished in the last six months and wondered if I should be extremely proud of my accomplishments... or extremely humbled by where I came from and how much further I have to grow. While I've made a lot of friends and managed to get everything I wanted from my experience at Camfed, I still was not happy working there and I don't know why. It was an opportunity I had been wanting for years and when I finally had it, it was everything I expected and everything I didn't expect. I expected the work to be difficult, rewarding and extremely challenging which it was and I loved that. But it wasn't satisfying and it wasn't enough for me, which I did not expect.

So it was a bittersweet day yesterday in the office. I poked fun at Moin's clothes and Dan's abilities for the last time. But it also felt good to be embarking towards the next step in my life... a Master's degree. While my expectations are lowered and my concerns are at the forefront of my mind, I am a bit relieved to be moving on and excited to see if this is a step towards the right direction.

I finally met Ann Cotton. I was able to affect girls' lives in Africa. I rose to a challenge daily. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment